I Want To Renovate My Home. What Do I Need To Do?

By contacting the Modern Home Improver’s office by email or phone, a consultant will contact you to arrange a FREE, no obligation visit to your home.

What Approvals Do I Need?

Leave that to us.  We will organise approvals with the council and Water Corporation. We will also organise the survey and engineering details.

Why Is The Council Process Taking So Long?

As you can appreciate, every council has differing needs and procedures for building.  Some council’s are also inundated with approvals due to the new housing boom.  Although we work closely with councils, there maybe an occasional delay with approvals.  If you feel that the approval process is unusually long, we recommend that you contact the council direct.

Do I Need To Change My Own Insurance

It is advisable to contact your home insurance company to advise them of the renovation.  They can advise you on your individual policy requirements.

What Is Indemnity Insurance?

Indemnity insurance is an insurance that is required by all registered builders to cover the renovation construction.  Modern Home Improver’s is insured with QBE Insurance.

How Long Will My Renovation Take?

Each renovation is unique.  A time frame will be devised based on your current home and proposed renovation.  You will be advised prior to signing the contract the allowable working days to complete works.  Renovations are generally completed within six to eight months.

Should I Move Out Of My Home During The Renovation?

This is a personal choice.  You should speak with your consultant and site manager before making your decision.

Will My Home Become Messy During The Renovation?

Where possible, sub-contractors to Modern Home Improver’s will keep mess to a minimum.  To ensure you end up with the best possible renovation, it may be necessary to carry out demoltion.  You will need to cover furnishings and it may become unpleasant for a short period of time.  Each renovation is unique and it would be best to speak with your Site Manager to determine your individual needs.

Do We Organise Our Owner Plans?

No.  Modern Home Improver’s have qualified designers who will draw up your design plans in-house.  Modern Home Improver’s do not use other architect designs, as we will draw to specification.

Can I Change The Plan concept after it has Been Drawn?

Yes you can.  Any changes prior to the contract being signed are made in-house at no extra charge.   Any changes after contract signed may result in additional costs onto the contract.

Can I Employ Additional Tradespeople While MHI Is On Site?

No.  Any additional tradespeople not directly working with Modern Home Improver’s will not be covered by insurance.  Any damage that they may cause on the renovation will also not be covered by insurance.  Speak with your Site Manager to devise the best course of action prior to employing additional tradespeople.

Can I Purchase My Own Fixtures/Fittings?

Yes you can.  If you decide to provide your own products, please advise your Consultant prior to materials being purchased.  If in doubt, speak with your Consultant.  Any changes can affect both the price and scheduling of your job.

What Is Practical Completion?

Practical completion means the renovation is complete, but does not mean it is perfect.  In other words, you can live in the house.  At time of handover, a Practical Completion inspection will be made by the Modern Home Improver’s director, and any defects will be noted.  These will be rectified within a reasonable time.

What Areas Do You Work In?

Modern Home Improver’s only carries out renovations in the immediate Perth metropolitan area.  Contact our office to confirm if we renovate in your area.